Summary of the Role
The Principal Medical Writer is an experienced and versatile writer who acts as a subject matter expert to support Medical Editors on the design and execution of projects. The incumbent demonstrates understanding of and expertise regarding the pharmaceutical sales training industry. The role works in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders to create a cohesive project and provide effective guidance. Internally, this role mentors and supports Writers and Senior Writers.
Some travel to the client may be required to fulfill the project responsibilities.
This role leads by example and engages the team to achieve by developing and distributing their subject matter expertise through the department.
Project-specific Tasks – Writing
As an experienced Medical Writer, the incumbent executes the medical writing tasks with autonomy and minimal supervision from the primary Editor. Materials produced are expected to be of a client-ready quality.
Project-specific Tasks – Design and Execution
- Interacts with cross-functional teams, clients, and/or Sales Directors with the goal of obtaining information to contribute to the development of the Training Design Document
- Contributes to the overall design of deliverables
- Interacts with clients during conference calls or onsite meetings to ensure expectations and specifications are met with respect to the design of projects
- Performs onsite support at client events
- Organizes and prioritizes tasks to meet project deadlines, and delegates tasks when appropriate
- Collaborates with Project Managers/Project Coordinators to map out project specifications
- Ensures that review procedures are followed
- Performs additional related tasks as requested by Management
- Graduate degree in life sciences
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in medical or scientific writing, with demonstration of expertise in a particular subject (therapeutic area, instructional design, etc.)
- Experience in training and mentoring Medical Writers
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including presentation skills
- Experience working in teams and consensus building across the organization
- Ability to organize, meet deadlines, multitask, delegate tasks, be resourceful, and demonstrate good judgment and leadership
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment, with demonstrated ability to think on feet
- Knowledge and application of AMA style
- Knowledge and application of Instructional Design Principals
- Availability to travel to the US (valid passport)
- Computer skills: MS Office
Competencies and Qualities
- Client-, quality-, and results-oriented
- Clarity, transparency, flexibility, responsibility, initiative, judgment, team-building, organizational skills, communication skills, interpersonal skills
- Ability to execute, work within tight deadlines, establish priorities, assume decision-making responsibility